PARIS, STOCKHOLM, ESPOO, TOKYO, September 7, 2009 --- Alcatel-Lucent, Ericsson, Fujitsu, NEC Corporation (NEC), Nokia Siemens Networks (NSN) and
The technical specifications recently demonstrated by the six companies support deployment of data processing functions, such as image conversion, on the IMS network. The processing functions will also allow companies to develop a variety of application services.
The new specifications will make it easier for telecommunication operators and vendors to develop value-added network functions. Operators that have adopted IMS can add these functions to their existing network and realize new services where, for example, a user edits a picture on the network and shares it, or converts a Japanese text message to English on the network before delivering it to the receiver (see attachment).
Alcatel-Lucent, Ericsson, Fujitsu, NEC, NSN and DOCOMO collaborated to set up a network system based on the new specifications and then successfully completed a demonstration test in August.
The six companies are committed to gaining adoption of the specifications by the Rich Communication Suite (RCS) project, a collaborative effort supervised by the Global System for Mobile Communications Association (GSM Association) that seeks to pave the way for the introduction of commercial IMS-based rich communication services over mobile and, eventually, fixed networks.
- About Alcatel-Lucent
- Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) is the trusted partner of service providers, enterprises and governments worldwide, providing solutions to deliver voice, data and video communication services to end-users. A leader in fixed, mobile and converged broadband networking, IP technologies, applications and services, Alcatel-Lucent leverages the unrivalled technical and scientific expertise of Bell Labs, one of the largest innovation powerhouses in the communications industry. With operations in more than 130 countries and the most experienced global services organization in the industry, Alcatel-Lucent is a local partner with a global reach. Alcatel-Lucent achieved revenues of Euro 16.98 billion in 2008 and is incorporated in France, with executive offices located in Paris. For more information, visit Alcatel-Lucent on the Internet: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com
- About Ericsson
- Ericsson is advancing its vision of "to be the prime driver in an all-communicating world" through innovation, technology, and sustainable business solutions. Working in 175 countries, more than 75,000 employees generated revenue of SEK 209 billion (USD 32.2 billion) in 2008. Founded in 1876 with the headquarters in Stockholm, Sweden, Ericsson is listed on OMX NASDAQ, Stockholm and NASDAQ New York.
- About Fujitsu
- Fujitsu is a leading provider of IT-based business solutions for the global marketplace. With approximately 175,000 employees supporting customers in 70 countries, Fujitsu combines a worldwide corps of systems and services experts with highly reliable computing and communications products and advanced microelectronics to deliver added value to customers. Headquartered in Tokyo, Fujitsu Limited (TSE:6702) reported consolidated revenues of 4.6 trillion yen (US$47 billion) for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2009. For more information, please see: www.fujitsu.com
- About NEC Corporation
- NEC Corporation is one of the world's leading providers of Internet, broadband network and enterprise business solutions dedicated to meeting the specialized needs of a diversified global base of customers. NEC delivers tailored solutions in the key fields of computer, networking and electron devices, by integrating its technical strengths in IT and Networks, and by providing advanced semiconductor solutions through NEC Electronics Corporation. The NEC Group employs more than 140,000 people worldwide. For additional information, please visit the NEC website at: http://www.nec.com.
NEC is a registered trademark of NEC Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Other product or service marks mentioned herein are the trademarks of their respective owners. ©2009 NEC Corporation.
- About Nokia Siemens Networks
- Nokia Siemens Networks is a leading global enabler of telecommunications services. With its focus on innovation and sustainability, the company provides a complete portfolio of mobile, fixed and converged network technology, as well as professional services including consultancy and systems integration, deployment, maintenance and managed services. It is one of the largest telecommunications hardware, software and professional services companies in the world. Operating in 150 countries, its headquarters are in Espoo, Finland. www.nokiasiemensnetworks.com
NTT DOCOMO NTT DOCOMOis the world's leading mobile operator and provider of advanced mobile services. The company serves over 55 million customers in Japan, including 48 million using i-mode™, the world's most popular mobile e-mail/Internet platform, and 50 million using FOMA™, the world's original 3G mobile service based on W-CDMA. As a leader in the development of cutting-edge mobile technologies, DOCOMO is continually expanding the role of mobile phones as versatile and highly personalized "lifestyle tools" for everyday life, including with a wide range of innovative services for mobile payments, GPS, mobile TV, multimedia content and much more. NTT DOCOMOis listed on the Tokyo (9437), London (NDCM) and New York (DCM) stock exchanges. For more information, visit www.docomo.ne.jp/english.
FOMA service is only available in Japan.