NTT DoCoMo and AIS's Mobile Payment Service JV Starts Operations in Thailand


TOKYO, JAPAN, August 5, 2005 --- NTT DoCoMo, Inc. announced that its mobile payment service joint venture, ADVANCED MPAY COMPANY LIMITED (mPAY), will start operations in Thailand today.

The joint venture was established with Advanced Info Service Public Company Limited (AIS), Thailand's largest mobile operator. DoCoMo acquired a 30% stake for 315 million baht (approximately 850 million yen), while AIS owns the remaining 70% and provides the services.

Customers can use their mobile phones to settle shopping transactions, including online shopping via PCs and mobile phones, pay utility bills, buy drinks at vending machines and more.

Retailers will use AIS networks to send a dedicated phone number to each customer, who will call the number and make a settlement using either an interactive voice response system or WAP.

DoCoMo hopes to expand mobile payment service businesses in cooperation with AIS in Thailand.

*1 baht equaled 2.69 yen as of the end of July 2005.

About NTT DoCoMo
NTT DoCoMo is the world's leading mobile communications company, serving more than 50 million customers. The company offers a wide variety of cutting-edge mobile multimedia services, including i-mode®, the world's most popular mobile Internet service which provides e-mail and Internet access to over 44 million subscribers, and FOMA®, launched in 2001 as the world's first 3G mobile service based on W-CDMA. In addition to wholly owned subsidiaries in Europe, North America and Asia, the company is expanding its global reach through strategic alliances with mobile and multimedia service providers in Asia-Pacific and Europe. NTT DoCoMo is listed on the Tokyo (9437), London (NDCM) and New York (DCM) stock exchanges. For more information,

i-mode, mova, and FOMA are trademarks or registered trademarks of NTT DoCoMo, Inc. in Japan and other countries.
NTT DoCoMo's FOMA service is only available to subscribers in Japan.

About AIS
Advanced Info Service Public Company Limited (AIS), a subsidiary of Shin Corporation PCL., is the established leader in Thailand's wireless communications industry after more than twelve years of services with its subscribers based more than 16 millions. To date, AIS service network covers 795 districts (amphur) throughout Thailand, plus international roaming across in six continents. Additionally, indoor coverage has been greatly expanded in both Bangkok and the provinces.AIS has continuously enhanced and expanded its network in order to respond to the market and technological advances, whilst keeping abreast of consumers' growing demands and needs.It continues to integrate the latest in advanced technology and deliver more than just voice communication.AIS strongly believe that wireless communications bring changes to the way Thai people live their life, regardless of who they are and what they do. With endless communications possibilities, the quality of life is better. Visit our web site at

Go to top of the page